UTEL Case Study at Think with Google
Our client, the online Mexican university UTEL intends to capitalize on the democratizing power of the Internet with the aim of facilitating access to university education for a greater number of people. With the aim of inspiring and helping companies that use its business tools to meet their objectives, Think with Google addressed our success story with UTEL University and the use of the recently launched AdWords “Similar Audiences” functionality.
One of the short fallings in Mexico is education, often the abandonment of education is due to external factors such as the need to work, distance from home or work to school and lack of time. UTEL saw an opportunity to cover a sector of the population that wanted to overcome this but lacked the time to do so. They have made online study accessible by offering high school, bachelor’s degrees, engineering, diplomas and postgraduate degrees as a solution.
- Increase conversions (digital form)
- Increase click-through rate (and reduce cost per click)
- Stay ahead of the curve by testing new strategies in campaigns.
The approach was to use AdWords’ similar audience functionality, in two search campaigns: “online bachelors” and “online universities”, taking it a step further in the digital strategy by using the functionality already outlined to fine-tune the reach to the target audience:
Men and women 18-34 years old, who are looking to study online mainly because of the need to keep working.
What happens here is that the Similar Audiences feature (launched in early June 2017), for the search network takes the remarketing list and finds users with similar online behaviour. This means that the advertiser can achieve more valuable traffic, i.e. similar to those who have already converted, in this case it may have been those who compared online universities, tuition, or perhaps online courses.
In addition to this digital strategy, the time of purchase and where the user is located allowed us to establish a very specific message to users who were already considering online studies and were in the think or consideration phase.
- For the search of “online universities” the total number of people who successfully completed the form increased 63.5%,the click-through rate grew 26.5% and the cost per click was reduced 24.5%
- For the “online licensing” campaign the total number of users who left their data increased 16.9%,the click-through rate rose 10.7% and the CPC dropped 29.2%
- And both campaigns were most successful at getting more people in Mexico one step closer to completing their higher education studies.
Before you run to apply this in any campaign remember to be clear about your user’s campaign objective and experience For example, what time are you at? What would I like to find (as a user) regarding X service/product?
Tell us what you think of similar audiences for search and display campaigns, we want to hear from you.
Browse: Life & Culture
Find out how we can help you
With offices around the world, we can build a team perfect for your needs.